The monitor in this cabinet was originally mounted horizontally. I decided to rotate the monitor vertically because more games fit correctly this way. After test fitting I realized that the monitor was too tall (vertically) to fit correctly. Some careful measuring convinced me that I could lower the monitor shelf about 2 1/2 inches to make the monitor fit - barely.
I started by cutting a 2x4 in half to make 2 support braces for my new shelf. The original shelf was 16" from front to back and my 2x4 was about 18". Although a bit longer, I decided that the 2x4 length was just fine. I also cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to 18" x 24". My cabinet is actually 24 1/2 inches in width but the piece of plywood I bought was only 24". Unfortunately I didn't notice this at the store. Still I think that a 1/4 " gap on either side of the shelf won't be a problem.
After getting my shelf and supports cut, I measured down 2 1/2" from the top of my existing monitor shelf. I drew several marks at this measurement and connected the lines. From there I measured down 3/4" and made another line. This was to allow for the height of my plywood shelf.
Next I clamped a support to the cabinet and lined it's top up with the lowest line I drew. Using a thin drill bit, I pre-drilled from the inside of the cabinet to the outside. From the outside, I drilled a larger counter-sink hold to recess the screws. The first hole I drilled served as a guide so that I knew where to drill on the outside of the cabinet. I had to place the thin drill bit just barely inside the chuck to ensure it was long enough to go through the support and the cabinet side.
I screwed in the shelf supports and stopped for the night. Next I plan on fitting the shelf and monitor and measuring to ensure that the monitor fits correctly. I also have to remove to old shelf, which is currently sitting 2 1/2" above the new one.
As I was writing this I realized that I made an error in my measurements. I had to remove the monitor supports and put them 3/4" higher to allow for the shelf height. After moving the supports I removed the old monitor shelf. Because the existing shelf was installed into dado's in the cabinet sides, I was forced to cut it. Using a jig saw, I cut the shelf and pounded it out with a hammer. In the process I managed to scrape the side off one of my fingers.
After removing the shelf I was left with a very ugly looking dado in each side of the cabinet. I really don't need to fill it but I think the perfectionist in my wants to do so. Most likely I'll be filling it in before painting.
Once the old shelf was removed, I set the new shelf in place temporarily. I put the monitor in to see how well it fit. Everything looks fairly good except that the bezel is a little too high. If I move the shelf up 1/2" more then the bezel will fit perfectly.
As I already mentioned, I'm a perfectionist so I moved the shelf up 1/2". After the second and final move of the shelf, I test fit the bezel, front plexi-glass and speaker panel. Everything lines up very nice and it looks perfect! I'm now getting anxious to play on this cabinet!
Second Chance Arcade